THE GRANARY OF UPPER SILESIA
When you look at the map of Silesian Voivodeship, you will find the Granary of Upper Silesia along the westerly border of the voivodeship, close to Gliwice and around Lubliniec. It is an extremely green area. There are a lot of forests, fields and meadows. Apart from the wildlife and the picturesque views, the Granary offers rich Silesian culture and plenty of interesting historical facts. For young and adult discoverers wait tremendous palaces in Koszęcin and Pławniowice, the Medieval castle in Toszek, a wooden architecture trail in Pawełki and Żernica and dinosaurs in Lisowice. In addition, you can try delicious Silesian cuisine. There is nowhere it tastes better than in local farms and restaurants.
The Granary of Upper Silesia is also the place where the farm tourism is developing. This is a perfect place for cycling, contact with nature, mushroom picking, sleigh rides and wild animal watching. Those coming from big cities are delighted with the calmness and hospitality of the inhabitants. The Granary of Upper Silesia is our home. Our pride.
Which boroughs make the Granary of Upper Silesia?
Ciasna, Herby, Kochanowice, Koszęcin, Krupski Młyn, Pawonków, Pilchowice, Rudziniec, Sośnicowice, Toszek, Tworóg, Wielowieś.
What is a Local Action Group?
A Local Action Groups exist in the rural areas of the European Union. The Local Action Group is a partnership of public and social institutions, businesses, farmers and other people from neighbouring boroughs. It often acts as a foundation or an association. Inhabitants who establish the Local Action Group choose a name for it. Next, they think about what is interesting in their area (nature or cultural resources, economic traditions).
Finally, they think about how to use it for the development of the area. They create a Local Strategy of Development, which includes the goals to achieve in the next years. To realize their plans they get funds from LEADER programme.
Local Action Groups are open for new people. It’s aim is to activate and integrate inhabitants, develop and promote partner boroughs, and gradually improve the quality of life. All the founders, members and partners are responsible for the Local Action Group. It’s a common good of all the inhabitants. Everyone can join to work with their passion and ideas.
Local Action Group has its office, management and many associates and volunteers. Dedication of local community is the foundation of its action.
Landmarks of the Granary of Upper Silesia
The Palace and Park Complex Pławniowice
Centre for Education and Formation of Gliwice Diocese
The Ballestrem family chose Pławniowice area as their family seat and built a magnificent palace there between 1882 and 1885.
The project and building of the compound, to replace the earlier built in 1737, was commissioned by count Franciszek II Ballestrem to building master Konstantyn Heidenreich from Kopice near Grodków. The palace is a three-winged building which represents the Netherlands' Neo-mannierism. It features a unique variety of colors and textures of walls, especially stone details and red brick walls. The building roofs are decorated with towers, turrets, steeples and dormers. Around the castle there is a park with a carefully chosen forest stand.
From the beginning of its existence, Ballestrem’s Palace was affected by changed fortunes.
At the beginning of 1945, the owner of that time, Earl Mikołaj Ballestrem, was forced to leave Pławniowice before the coming Red Army. Marshal Iwan Koniew was quartered for a very short time in a palace building. After the war, the building was given to church authorities. An independent parish with a church and a rectory was established in Pławniowice. The other rooms were intended for a convent of Benedictine Sisters of Perpetual Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament who had been deported from Lwow. They stayed there until 1976. In the same year, the Augustians took possession of the building while living there for two years. Apart from the monastery and the rectory, there were also temporary offices of agricultural cooperative. The change of residents and intended use resulted in fast destruction of the building.
Since 1978, the host of the Palace and Park Complex is Opole Diocese which intended it to be a diocese retreat house. New territory division and administrative division of the Church in Poland performed on 25.03.1992 made the Palace and Park Complex Pławniowice a possession of Gliwice Diocese.
In the autumn 1993, the major reconstruction of Palace in Pławniowice, which is entered in the historical treasure registry, began. At the present, it resembles the time of its grandness.
The text and the photo: ks. Krystian Worbs
The first references regarding the castle in Koszęcin come from the beginning of the XVII century. In 1603, after the fire in the wooden buildings, Andrzej Kochcicki, built the first residence made of bricks on a rectangle and a chapel. Traces of older foundation found under the chapel point to earlier existence of the building of probable defensive nature.
The next owners were, among others Fryderyk von Blacha, Mikołaj Filip de Rauthen and the Sobek family from Kornice.
Between 1804 and 1945, the owners of the palace were the Hohenlohe – Ingelfingen family, which significantly influenced the present look of the palace by rebuilding it in classical style.
Since 1953, it is the seat of Śląsk Song and Dance Ensemble in memory of Stanisław Hadyna which led to intense renewing of the works of the Palace and Park Complex.
The “Śląsk” Ensemble is Cultural Institution of Silesian Voivodeship. It represents the wealth of Polish folklore in a form of stage stylization. There are concerts, educational programs, excursions, artistic workshops, catering and accommodation services in its offer.
Brynek Palace was built in 1829 and became a seat of the Donnersmarck family. When visiting this antique building, it is worth paying attention to the marble room, the library with wooden panels, the numerous fireplaces and the water tower, which was built at the beginning of the XX century during the redevelopment of the palace.
Around the palace there is a park which was designed according to the requirements of English garden art. Among the number of green species and bushes, there 200-year-old English oaks in monumental sizes which cannot be missed.
In the park, there is a botanical garden founded by Henryk Eder. It looks especially beautiful in spring when azalea and rhododendron bushes are in bloom.
Nowadays, in the area of the castle and park complex, there is Technical Secondary School of Forestry – the oldest school of forestry leaded by the Ministry of the Environment.
The Donnesmarck seat is available for visitors all year round. During the school year, organized groups can ask for guides who are students of the school.